Bicknell Crescent house

Bicknell Crescent house
In the beginning...

After some landscaping...

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Parquet? Hardwood!

Time to remove the carpet in the Cave (Andrew's office room) and in the living room, revealing the parquet floors to buff and coat with a new finish. Large cracks, loose pieces and buckling showed the glue had dried up, wood had shrunk - floors not worth the repair.

H.  caught my dismay - "Mom, you can't repair this - you burn it."
"Parquet...?" I echo weakly.
"Mom, 'parquet' is what you get in the Louvre! This is kindling."
"I never actually liked this 'parquet'; I just thought we'd use it anyway... New floors aren't in the budget..."
I feel myself falling into the abyss of renovation surprises. A classic case of "This Old House"... Where's Bob Vila, or Mike Holmes, when you need him?

Wait - who needs them? We have Hugh! "Mom, I could get you T&G [tongue and groove] maple and install it for free, then have Mike finish it. It wouldn't cost you much more than you'd spend cleaning this up."
" I'd need an estimate of the cost and durability, vs. the repair and its durability..."
"Sure, Mom. No problem."


Home Depot's sale flyer has an ad for T&G birch, with a cherry finish. H. is duly impressed. "That's a great deal, already finished!" Andrew and I compare the finish to our favourite antique pine chest, and the colour is lovely - warm, honey-colored hardwood. It's a deal! Mike O'Neil started shovelling up the 'parquet' - after all, this is not the Louvre! Hardwood, here we come. Round One for Hugh.  Lesson: seize an opportunity to embrace change!

No comments:

Post a Comment